Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Quote(s) of the day

The great Bebo Valdes has given a typically upbeat interview to the Madrid daily El Pais, talking about his music, his family and a new documentary on his life, titled "Old Man Bebo".

And he talks about Cuba. Of course.

Asked why he has not returned to Havana since he left in 1960, he replies:


“All my life I have wanted to return to Cuba but I promised my mother on her deathbed that I wouldn’t while [the Castro regime] remains in power. We disposed of Batista, who was dictator of the Right, only to end up with a dictator of the Left, who also oppresses his people. Well, que se vayan al carajo todos los dictadores!”.

Spoken I think, with all the wisdom of an 89 year old.

5 Comments:

Blogger Ernesto said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:40 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Frankly, I think its silly not to visit just b/c of "dictator".
There is life OUTSIDE of politics and one should be able to see this.


You only live once and its silly to not visit Cuba out of stubborness, especially after all of these years.

You might call it principled-, I call it obstinate stupidty.

With respect I say all of this; to each his own, just speaking frankly.

1:43 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

to anonymous" coment:

If you read the blog correctly you will understand he is not going back beacuse of Castro, but because of the "promise" he made to his dying mother.. It is our word al we have... If our word, or/and promise can be broken, then we might as well never bother making them since they have no meaning... Keeping his word, and denying himself go back to the land that calls all Cubans home, shows the character of Mr. Valdes

11:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unlike the Cuban dictator who's word never was worth the paper it might have been written on or the energy expended by the toung to repeat it.

1:08 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gee, I wonder why it was SO uncool, not to say unthinkable, to visit or perform in apartheid-era South Africa. I mean, why would some pop star, for instance, have had any scruples about that, since politics can always be segregated out from the rest of life? I'm so confused.

1:30 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home